Saturday, February 12, 2011

Who Am I

I have always been a huge Lakers fan. For  my school picture in the 1st grade I wore a Lakers jersey. The main reason I liked the team was because my favorite player in the NBA was Shaquille O'neal. He was my hero. I had a Shaq poster and Shaq movies. Everything was Shaq. It got so bad that I had myself tricked into thinking that he was my Dad. I was so convinced that I brought it up with my parents multiple times. Everytime they replied, "No son, I'm positive you are our son." Everytime I was disappointed. I wanted to be related to my hero.

Since then nothing has changed, I'm still David Mahrt son of Peter and Jolene. However, throughout the years I have come to know that God is my Eternal Father. He is the Father of my spirit. This is a great doctrine that has changed my life. I may not be the son of Shaq but I'm the son of the creator of all things in heaven and earth. I mean something. I have divine potential. What a great truth. I'm happy that I have come to know this.

Mormon.org states that "The central truth of the restored church is that God is our Heavenly Father and we are his spirit children. He knows us personally and loves us more than we can comprehend." He loves us so much "that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Coming to understand this truth is so key to living a successful and happy life. It is essential for eternal life. We read: "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast Sent."(John 17:3) Not only will it give us strength to face our challenges in this life, but it is required for eternal life. We must come to know this is true in order for us to return to live with God. That is one important reason why God and His Son Jesus Christ appeared to the prophet Joseph Smith.

Joseph relates his experience: "I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me. . . When the light rested upon me I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other—This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!” (Joseph Smith—History 1:16–17). Those two beings were God and Jesus Christ.

That important truth was restored through this vision. It is so important to know that this is true. When we know this is true we know with an absolute asurety that God is our Father and that Jesus Christ is the Savior and Redeemer of the world. What a great message. 

The truth of this message is found in a book, The Book of Mormon. "The Book of Mormon testifies that Jesus Christ did indeed live on the earth and still lives today as our divine Savior. It’s a second witness affirming the existence of Jesus Christ and the truth of the Bible." It is a record of people who lived in the America. God called prophets who wrote down their prophesyings and revelations. When we know this Book is true we know that God is our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ is His Son. We know this because we know that they appeared to Joseph Smith. We come to know the book is true as we, read the Book of Mormon, ponder in our hearts the message it contains, and then to ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ if the book is true. "Those who pursue this course and ask in faith will gain a testimony of its truth and divinity by the power of the Holy Ghost." (Intro)

I know these things are true. I know we are Sons and Daughters of God. He has a plan for us. I invite everyone to find out for themself by reading the Book of Mormon.

For more information about this message visit:

No comments:

Post a Comment