Monday, June 13, 2011

Progressive Post: Trust in the Lord

I am so proud to be a missionary serving in the California Santa Rosa Mission. I love the hills, the diversity of flowers and fruit, and the redwood trees. California is a beautiful state. It is rich in landscape and in people. I have especially loved and appreciated the people of California. I am currently serving in Vallejo and I agree one hundred percent with what Elder Jones has said about this area. My brothers and sisters here have taught me so much about perserverance and about holding to the simple truths of the gospel.
PreviewRather than restate everything that has been written about Vallejo, I want to talk about my experiences in the Northernmost city of our mission, Crescent City. It is the first area I have served in therefore it will always have a special place in my heart. Having gotten the pleasure of serving in both wards all the members in that city are family to me. It is no different with the people I taught and contacted. I love them and I appreciate what they have given me. I've never met a more humble city than Crescent City. Above all that I was taught the main lesson that I learned from my five months stay was to trust in the Lord.


I'll let Alma the Younger sum it all up for me: "I do know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day. And I would not that ye think that I know of myself—not of the temporal but of the spiritual, not of the carnal mind but of God. Now, behold, I say unto you, if I had not been born of God I should not have known these things" (Alma 36: 3-5). Not only was I born into the mission in Crescent City, but I experienced a spiritual rebirth. That rebirth was a result of the trials and challenges that I faced as a new missionary.


Before I came on my mission I would often back down from a challenge. There were many opportunities in my life that I missed because I was afraid of failing. Rather than manning up and seizing the moment I cowered and withdrew. Fear had always overpowered my faith. For the first time in my life I buckled up and got to work. I seized every opportunity I could to serve others and to teach. I worked myself into the ground for the people there. I stood up for what I believed and I lived what I preached. Because I chose to exercise my faith I was able to accomplish miracles. The biggest miracle however was my own spiritual growth.


When I first came out I had some fears and doubts about my ability to be a successful missionary. The Lord took care of that fast. I was nailed time and time again with experiences where I had to choose to act in faith or cower in fear. Never before in my life did I go through that many challenges all at once. It seemed like there was no end to the trials I was facing. I had to rely on something other than myself to make it through. I quickly learned that I could trust in God. Each time I put it in the Lord's hands everything worked out. Relief came and miracles happened in every case. God provided for me. His "grace was sufficient"(Ether 12:27). That lesson has helped me through all of my trials since. I have learned to face trial with faith. From my first months in Crescent City I have had the capacity to enjoy every moment of my mission. This is because I know that I can put my trust in the Lord.

I believe His words to Alma and his people when they were delivered from bondage. The Lord told them "this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions."(Mosiah 24:14) I know that that is true. I am so thankful for the privilege it was to serve in Crescent City. I now have the faith to do all that the Lord requires of me. I know that He will go with me as I strive to deliver others from their afflictions and bring them into the waters of baptism. This is Church is most definately true. I love the experiences I have had while serving in the California Santa Rosa Mission. I'm excited to hear from Elder Trey Williams about what he has learned from his experiences on his mission. Keep following the Progressive Post.

1 comment:

  1. The Lord gives us the strength to overcome all challenges and weaknesses. I studied a lot about that this morning actually. Opened my eyes even more to how trials make us stronger. Anyone else have a story like Elder Mahrt's? I'd love to hear it!

    ReplyDelete