Monday, October 18, 2010

Mans Search for God

I met a man yesterday who said something very interesting. He defined religion as mans search for god. It put a new perspective on what I do on a daily basis. I ask people all the time if they are religious? What does this mean when i say that?

Normally I would say it just to spark up a conversation about God. I want to find more about they believe. I want to know their relationship with God. People give varying responses from "it is none of your business" to "i am religious to a point" to "yes i would consider myself a very religious person." But what does it mean to "be religious." This i have never thought of. I figured someone who was religious went to church on Sunday. They read the Bible, or the Koran, or the teachings of Buddha. Basically, anyone with any sense of a higher power.

This is not the case. Someone who is religious is someone who is searching for God. I would consider myself religious because everyday i strive to become closer to God. I want to allign my will with His. I want to do what he asks me to do. I want to find Him and have Him in my life. Someone can go to church every Sunday or read the Bible on a daily basis but be completely unreligious. The "why" to all of it is what makes someone religious.

Do you go to church on sunday to search for God, or do you go because that is what you are told to do? Do you read any form of scripture to discover more about God or do you read it because it is interesting and it makes you feel good? Do you worship God in an attempt to become closer with God, or do you do it out of ritual and tradition? How much of religion do we take for granted? Often i find myself going to church because that is what i am supposed to do. Oftentimes i find myself reading the scriptures because i know i will be blessed if i do it. Often times i forget who i am praying to when i kneel beside my bed at night.

Let us all repent and be more religious. Let us all seek out God and discover who He really is and develop a personal relationship with Him.

God lives. He is our Heavenly Father. All who seek after Him will find Him. All who are religious will develop a close connection with Him and He will lead you to truth. I promise you that if you will pray to Him and search your heart God will lead you to truth.

I know that God has placed truth everywhere. In all religions. I also know that God and His Son Jesus Christ have organized a church here on the earth where His children can worship Him. That church is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Be religious and discover for yourself this divine truth. Everyone should be searching every day for God. It is why we are here. To prepare to meet him. May God bless you with direction as you come to know who He is and how much He loves you.

www.mormon.org

No comments:

Post a Comment