Saturday, October 23, 2010

We Can Make Hard Choices



"The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet? Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had agreat possessions." (Matthew 9:20-21)

Life is full of difficult choices. Do I go to college or do I begin working? Can I quit smoking and drinking? Do I choose abstinence before marriage? Do I get married at all? Do I go hang out with my friends or spend time with my family? Do I quit my job so I can  make it to church on Sunday? Do I get baptized or not? Do I read my scriptures today or get that extra 30 minutes of sleep? Do I go out of my way to friendship someone? The list could go on and on. 

In the eternal plan our Father in Heaven has for us there are but two choices: "liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men" or "captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil." (2 Nephi 2:27) Every major choice we make in life will lead us closer to liberty and eternal life or captivity and death depending on how we use our agency. We should all choose Jesus Christ. Choose him as our exemplar and teacher. Choose him as our Savior and Redeemer. Choose him as our shoulder to lean on. Choose to walk on the straight and narrow. Choose to avoid temptation. When we choose Jesus Christ, "Our character will be developed and refined" because "despite prevailing wisdom, there really is a right and wrong in the world. Truth isn't relative and sin isn't just some unenlightened person's "value judgment"".

Jesus lives. He died for our sins. He is God's Only Begotten Son. God is our Heavenly Father. He has prepared a way for us to return to live with Him. When we choose to keep his commandments we are blessed. There is a law. We will be punished for our sins if we do not follow the straight and narrow path Jesus Christ has paved for us to follow. This is reality. There is a God. He loves us. He wants us to be happy so he gives us commandments and gives us the freedom to choose.

Sometimes choosing the right is hard. Well I am here to tell you that we all can make those hard choices. Choose now liberty and eternal life. It all starts with one choice that can change your life forever. Do not be as the rich man in Christ's parable who failed to make that hard choice. Rather, choose Jesus Christ over any worldly treasures and you will find that God has even greater treasures in store for you. Be willing to stand up against the tide of wickedness. We can do hard things and we can make hard choices. We have to make them. It is our responsibility as children of God. Let us show God we love Him and keep His commandments.
For more information on making choices visit:


No comments:

Post a Comment