Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Night Is Darkest Before Dawn

"The night is darkest before dawn" has rung true on my mission. I know that it was after the most difficult and trying times that the greatest blessings came. I know can recognize that when I am struggling there is light just around the corner. I get excited when trials come my way because I know that Satan tries us before the big moments in our lives.

Elder Jeffrey R. Holland said in a talk that, "It is the plain and very sobering truth that before great moments, certainly before great spiritual moments, there can come adversity, opposition, and darkness. Life has some of those moments for us, and occasionally they come just as we are approaching an important decision or a significant step in our lives." This is important to remember so that we are prepared for those times. We should anticipate them so that we are ready when they come. Understanding this principle will help all to never lose their footing. This is how our faith grows.

He goes on to say, "I wish to encourage every one of us regarding the opposition that so often comes after enlightened decisions have been made, after moments of revelation and conviction have given us a peace and an assurance we thought we would never lose." We should never give up. Paul says in these moments to "Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward. For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise" We should continue to do the will of God and exercise our faith.

This is so true for everyone who is investigating the Church. Satan does not want them to make these important steps in their life.  Elder Holland speaks directly to these precious souls when he says,"Sure it is tough—before you join the Church, while you are trying to join, and after you have joined. That is the way it has always been, Paul says, but don’t draw back. Don’t panic and retreat. Don’t lose your confidence. Don’t forget how you once felt. Don’t distrust the experience you had." This church is true. The adversary is real, and he wants us to be miserable like himself. We cannot let him lead us away from the things that we know are true. If it felt right at the moment, it is right now. God will guide us and he will help us to face our challenges.

We should always maintain our confidence in our spiritual choices. Listening to the spirit will help us to fill our lives with light. This will enable us to resist temptation. The Lords counsel to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery applies equally to us today when he said, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, if you desire a further witness, cast your mind upon the night that you cried unto me in your heart, that you might know concerning the truth of these things. Did I not speak apeace to your mind concerning the matter? What greater witnesscan you have than from God? And now, behold, you have received a witness" (D&C 6:22-24). Do not let your guard down, but always be watchful. "Pray always lest ye be tempted"(3 Nephi 18:15)

It is our duty to make those big decisions and endure to the end. I know that the Lord will assist us as we rely on him.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that my missionaries prepared me that things might get hard before getting baptized!!! Understanding that principle and being prepared has helped me so many times! They made sure to have "Daily Contact" for two weeks prior! :) Missionaries are the best! :) Understanding that principle and being prepared has helped me so many times! I really want to be like you though... and feel excited when trials come my way! :) I never thought to be excited! I don't know why I do it, because God ALWAYS helps me, but the first thing I do is panic! You are such a good example! Thanks for this lesson, Elder Mahrt! :)

    ReplyDelete