Thursday, May 26, 2011

Called to Serve: On the Other Side of the Veil

This last week I heard from a friend that someone who meant a lot to me had passed away. I was shocked when I heard the news and thankful that I had been informed. It was a great blessing to have heard because I have been away from him for 6 months. This man and his wife had joined the church a year ago. They are stalwart saints who have powerful testimonies of the truthfulness of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. When I served in their area they treated me like family. I love them and they will always be a part of my life. Here on the earth and in the eternities. I want to tell you a bit about his death and bear testimony of the life after.
 
Since it has been a year since their baptism they have the opportunity of being sealed in the temple. They were to become an eternal family this weekend. They had their recommends and the date was set with the temple for them to go through, recieve their endowments, and be sealed. My friend also recieved his Patriarchal Blessing this week. In that blessing it said that he would be called to serve a mission soon. I recieved this email from a member yesterday,
 
"The funeral was yesterday in Cave Junction and was like a missionary discussion. It went well. They were returning from the Patriarch when they stopped to eat because of his blood sugar. His blessing said he would be called to serve a mission soon. She said they didn't realize how soon. She was sealed to him today as they both had already had their interviews and recommends."
 
My dear Brother had passed while his wife and him were on their way home from the Patriarch. He had died very soon after. He was called to serve his mission on the other side of the veil. He is still sealed to his wife and he is doing work in the spirit world. There is life after this. It was that very fact that caused his wife to continue forth with the sealing. She knows that they will be together again. Family is forever.
 
I know that this is true. I dont know everything that goes on in the next life, but I do know that our families watch over us. I know that the gospel is being preached in the Spirit World so that "they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit" (1 Peter 4:6) My friend is fulfilling his mission to preach the gospel in the world of spirits. The work that takes place there is just as vital as the work on our side. His wife will feel his presence and be blessed for his faithfulness. He is not very far from her. I know this is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment