Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Small and Simple

I have a very sporadic personality. For me it is easy to pick up new things and drop them fast. I love change and I used to get uncomfortable with consistency. It has always been in my nature to expect big results in a short period of time. To put it simply I'm more of a sprinter than a long distance runner. Rather than being able to conserve my energy I like to get it all out in quick bursts. This pattern of thought and behavior unfortunately is not in harmony with God's way. It is a symptom of the carnal mind, a result of our temporal existence in the flesh.


God's way on the other hand is much different. The Lord's way, "suffereth long, and is kind and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things."(Moroni 7:45) Gods way focuses on the eternal. Since eternity is a much longer space of time than our life on earth God sees things much differently. Since this is the case our life here is a "a time to prepare to meet God" (Alma 34:32). Therefore as we follow God we "prepare for that endless state".

To teach us and prepare us for the eternities God follows a pattern of revealing truth "line upon line, precept upon precept." He can see the end from the beginning and he knows what we need and how to help us learn and prepare. It is for this reason that God works in small and simple means. Small in simple builds eternal attributes. Through these means we become more prepared to live with God. We don't reach heaven in an instant. Instead we show our faith through our devotion to following Christ and as we live His gospel. When we make consistent righteous choices we become more like our Heavenly Father. We forsake the carnal and focus on the eternal.

Elder David A. Bednar of the Twelve Apostles recently stated that: "Ordinary people who faithfully, diligently, and consistently do simple things that are right before God will bring forth extraordinary results." I know that this is true. It is the way of the disciple and it helps prepare us for the eternities.

I know that this is how God works. I'm doing my best to repent everyday and to focus on the small and simple things. I have seen great blessings come as I slow down and see things from an eternal perspective. I encourage everyone else to do the same.

Read the rest of Elder Bednar's talk.

Visit our website to discover the small and simple truths that have been brought back to the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment