Monday, April 18, 2011

How Can I Know?


"We invite all men everywhere to read the Book of Mormon, to ponder in their hearts the message it contains, and then to ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ if the book is true. Those who pursue this course and ask in faith will gain a testimony of its truth and divinity by the power of the Holy Ghost."

As missionaries this witness from the Holy Ghost is the central focus of our teaching. We teach with the hope that "power of the Holy Ghost" will carry our message "unto the hearts of the children of men" (2 Nephi 33:1). One way this happens is when those we teach seek earnestly to know the truth of what we teach by asking God. "No one can know of spiritual truths without prayer"(PMG 39). He is the author of all truth.

Jesus taught "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you."(Luke 11:9) The invitation is there. All who seek to know of truth can find answers. The only requirement is that they ask of God. "In answer to our prayers, the Holy Ghost will teach us truth through our feelings and thoughts. Feelings that come from the Holy Ghost are powerful, but they are also usually gentle and quiet. (PMG 39)" I have felt such feelings in my life. As we dilligently seek we will learn to recognize the answers to our prayers. God will teach us.

"As we begin to feel that what we are learning is true, we will desire to know all that we can about the Restoration. Knowing that the Book of Mormon is true leads to a knowledge that Joseph Smith was called as a prophet and that the gospel of Jesus Christ was restored through him." (PMG 39)

We have a unique message for the world. God has reached out in love to restore His gospel through a living prophet. This is true. I testify that it is. I have come to know for myself that God and Jesus Christ did indeed appear to Joseph Smith in the Sacred Grove. I know this because I have asked God. I have read the Book of Mormon. I know that it is true. The Spirit has born witness to me of this truth. I invite everyone to do the same and I promise as a servant of Jesus Christ that you will have the same results. God will hear your prayers and you will know for yourself. You will desire to know all you can about the Restoration.

Do you have the courage to ask, seek, and knock?

No comments:

Post a Comment