Thursday, April 28, 2011

Prayer and Scripture Study

I have been reflecting lately about my commitment to follow my Savior Jesus Christ. This was sparked primarily by Church on Easter Sunday. As a missionary Easter took on a different meaning to me. Each week as I partake of the sacrament I am reminded of his sacrifice. I truly appreciated his suffering and death on the Cross. This made me feel at peace knowing that he has felt as I have felt. It is such a great expression of love. Easter this year reminded me not just of his sacrifice but of his Ressurection. He overcame all things, including death. This brings me joy knowing that if I follow him to the end I too can overcome all things. I can be held, "guiltless before my Father" at that day when I will stand before Christ to be judged (3 Nephi 27:16). That is the hope that keeps me going.

I wanted to write today about two things that have helped me in my life to hold true to this hope. These habits have helped me to remember my Savior and to make correct choices. I know that by studying the scriptures and praying often I can be close to my Savior and thus be at peace and experience lasting joy. These two things, though small, will lead to lasting conversion to our Savior.

The moment I became converted to the Gospel was the moment I decided to follow the counsel of my Bishop and read my scriptures every day. I remember the first time that I started reading the Book of Mormon. I didnt understand a word that book was saying. However, I remember the feeling that I got as I read. This feeling had changed my attitude for the rest of the day. From that day forward I could recognize the difference from the days I read and the days I didn't. The more I read the more I understood. I quickly became in love with the scriptures. 

I know that what Nephi taught is true when he said, "Feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do." (2 Nephi 32:3) I continue to feast upon them because they open the door to revelation and show me what I need to do and become. (PMG 73) Scripture study keeps me close to my Savior. It has invited the spirit into my life and shows me what I should do throughout the day.

Through the scriptures we develop faith in Christ. It is necessary for lasting conversion to read, pray, and ponder the word of God. It is the same for the people of old as it is for us today. This is because the word of God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. I am with Jacob when he stated that: "We search the prophets, and we have many revelations...and having all of these witnesses we obtain a hope, and our faith becometh unshaken, insomuch that we truly can command in the of Jesus and the very trees obey us, or the mountains, or the waves of the sea." (Jacob 4:6). Our faith will never fail us if we search dilligently the scriptures.

God commands us to pray to him. "Prayer is a supernal gift of our Father in Heaven to every soul. Think of it: the absolute Supreme Being, the most all-knowing, all-seeing, all-powerful personage, encourages you and me, as insignificant as we are, to converse with Him as our Father." (Richard G. Scott) Prayer is direct communication with God. He hears us. It is so important to pray to him often throughout the day. Prayer is the way i recieved my answer that the Book of Mormon is true. It is through prayer that I discovered I needed to serve a mission. Since I have this gift of prayer I am able to recieve divine assistance. Assistance that I have found invaluable in missionary service and life in general.

I want to quote the blessings that come from prayer as expressed in Preach My Gospel. "As we pray with faith, sincerity, and real intent, we will see God's influence in our lives. He will guide us in our daily lives and help us make good decisions. He will bless us with feelings of comfort and peace. He will warn us of danger and strenghten us to resist temptation. he will forgive our sins. We will feel closer to Him...We can recognize when the Holy Ghost is teaching us truth. Our minds will be filled with inspiring and uplifting thoughts. We will be enlightened, or given new knowledge. Our hearts will have feelings of peace, joy, and love. We will want to do good and be helpful to others." (PMG 73) How important is prayer. Enough said right?

I have experienced all of these blessings promised. I know that prayer and scripture study is how I have maintained my relationship with Christ. It is how I will continue to remember him. Through these two simple things I know what I need to do each day to honor my Savior and overcome all things as he did. 

I know that he rose from the dead. I know that he is the Son of God. I know that he suffered for all our sins, temptations, pains, sicknesses, and sorrows. I know he is our Savior and Redeemer. I love my brother Jesus Christ. 


Read how prayer brought upon the Restoration of Jesus Christ's Church in the Latter-Days.

Read a modern day apostles talk on Prayer.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I need my scriptures and to say my prayers...without it I am nothing. Thank you for sharing this:)

    ReplyDelete