Sunday, November 14, 2010

I Love Rainy Days

"That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust."


So, the rainy season is coming up in Crescent City California. I hear that means that I will not get to see the sun for six months. I may regret saying this, but I love the rain. It always reminds me of that quote by Jesus. The rain is not just falling on me. It falls on everyone in the entire city. Everyone will get just as wet as me. That makes me happy. I do not worry about getting wet. I can suffer a little rain because I know I am not the only one stuck in the storm. This is important to remember. Everyone has rainy days.

Jesus Christ taught us that the greatest commandment is to love one another. In the Sermon on the Mount he says, "Bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you." (3 Nephi 12: 44) This includes our enemies. No matter the circumstance or the offence Christ pleads for us to replace hate with love.

He was one to live his teachings. He was bruised and beaten. He was humiliated and scourged. He was despised and rejected. He was spit upon and scorned. He was truly "a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief."(Isaiah 53: 3) His people hung him on a cross. He was crucified, yet he did all of this for us. He died for the very people who drove the nails into his hands and feet. He suffered for the man who betrayed him. He laid upon himself the iniquity of us all. Before he uttered his last breathe he stated these very humbling words:

"Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do."

Jesus Christ loved everyone. His suffered for everyone. How do we feel about our enemies? Oh how we all ought to repent. Let us all remember that the rain falls on the just and the unjust. Everyone has rainy days. This includes your enemies. We all go through hard times and we all need each other. Be happy through your trials and let us support one another through the storm. I hope that everyone remembers that we are all in the same City. We are all going to get rained on. We can learn to enjoy the rain and look forward to sunny days. Forget yourself and serve everyone who God places in your path. Look for ways to love your enemies. Pray for them and you will find joy through the rain.


No comments:

Post a Comment