Saturday, December 4, 2010

Gluten Free Is The Way To Be

How would you feel if someone came up to you and told you that you can't eat cookies, cake, pasta, or bread anymore? You are forbidden to eat any of them for the rest of your life. Well that is what happened to me. The world of baked goods was from then on off limits to me.

A week before I left for my mission I was diagnosed with Celiacs disease. I cant eat anything with Gluten in it. Which at the time seemed like everything good in life. I had no idea what I was going to eat anymore. Lots of the cereal I ate was off limits. My favorite dinners were banned. Bye bye sandwiches too. I'm stuck with rice and vegetables for the rest of my life I thought. How was I going to live?

It was hard to give up everything all at once only at the doctors word. I mean come on I had been eating gluten filled foods my entire life and I was fine. Why would I stop eating all the things I love? The doctor promised me I would be much healthier and have so much more energy. He said that i would be stronger and my mind would be quicker. Even my ability to remember things would be affected. I told him he crazy, but I'd give it a shot.

Going gluten free was one of the best decisions I've made. It was hard at first to think of things to eat, but the longer I was on the diet the more things I had on the menu. Pretty soon I had gluten free cake, bread, cookies, and pie. The bread didnt taste very good, but I enjoyed the rest of it. I even had gluten free lasagna and spaghetti. Lots of Mexican food I can eat. I can also eat tons of Thai dishes. I was opened up to an entirely new world of food. It was amazing. Oh, and guess what all of the blessings the doctor promised me came true! I didnt notice how sick I really was until a month on the diet. I felt the best I had in my entire life. I put on 20 pounds in the first 3 weeks. It was nuts. My acne problem cleared up. I cant see my ribs anymore. I havent gotten sick since. I still cant believe I lived like that my entire life. I wish someone had told me sooner. I am so much healthier and happier. It has been great! Gluten free is the way to be. I hope that everyone out there who is suffering from this disease but does not know it discovers the truth. They dont know what this diet can do for them. They dont know just how much they are missing out on. Like me, they dont know how sick they really are.

In comparison while in Liberty Jail Joseph Smith said of the world that, "There are many yet on earth among all sects, parties, and denominations, who are blinded by the subtle craftiness of men, whereby they lie in wait to decieve, and who are only kept from the truth because they know not where to find it." (D&C 123:12) If only people would see the truth. If everyone knew what the restored Gospel really had to offer them they would walk the path that the Lord has laid. People do not know what they are missing out on. They dont know how lost they really are. They need an appointment with the missionaries. They need to visit Mormon.org. They need to be baptized and attend the temple. Everyone needs to seek out the truthfulness of the restoration for themselves. It is the most remarkable message. God has called a prophet. He has restored the Church of Jesus Christ back onto the earth. The power and authority to preach the gospel and administer in the ordinances has been restored. Dont you want to know this for yourselves?

You dont have to be sick anymore. Take the doctors word for it. Great blessings await all who sincerely seek this truth out for themselves. Give the diet a try. Read the Book of Mormon and pray about it. Attend Church. Meet the missionaries. Search. I promise you that your family will be blessed, you will find purpose in life, and you will know just how much God loves His children. You will discover for yourself just how many blessings you are missing out on. You will find truth. Dont suffer in ignorance anymore. Seek out the truth for yourself.

I know this is true. Just like my Celiacs disease it may seem crazy at first. You have lived this long without the Gospel and you've been fine. Why would do you need this? It takes a lot of faith. You have to be willing to change and change is hard. Just do it. I promise you that it will be just like my Gluten free diet. You will find for yourself that Gluten free is the way to be. You will exclaim just as I did, "I wish I would have found out sooner."

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful post. It is always a great thing to understand that the Lord will always be with you, no matter what. Always rely on him for everything!

    ReplyDelete