Saturday, December 18, 2010

Let It Snow

My companion saw snow for the first time today! He is from Fiji so for his whole life he has only seen rain and sunshine. Never before has he seen snow. He has never made a snowman or a snow angel. He has never went skiing or snowboarding. He has never been sledding. He has missed out completely on the experience of snow.

For the past couple of weeks he has been begging to see snow. When we saw it on the side of the road today he was so excited. We had to stop the car so that he could go scoop some into his hands. He couldn't believe it. Snow just made my companions day.

On the other hand, I am from Montana. We get a lot of snow. Snow is not a new thing. It just stumped me why he was so awestruck about seeing snow. Congratulations it is now cold again and their is white stuff on the ground. Snow is just something that happens every winter. Back when I was a kid I used to get excited. When I had time to go skiing I lept for joy when the snow began to fall. Unfortunately, it is not important to me anymore.


How often are we like this in life? How many things do we take for granted? To me snow was just another winter. To Elder Ratuwara it was a dream come true. The difference wasn't in the snow it was in the person. I don't appreciate snow anymore. What a shame! I could have been just as happy as my companion today, but I didnt appreciate what was in front of me. I was reminded of how much I once loved the snow.

It is important to remember what God has done for us. We should all believe in God and enjoy what he has given us. He has given us His Son Jesus Christ. He has given us the opportunity for eternal life. He has given us the scriptures. He is willing to cleanse us from sin. He answers our prayers. He has given us families. He has given us a prophet. He has given us direction. He has given us the Book of Mormon. He has given us direct promises and he always fulfills them if we keep His commandments. We need to be careful not to forget what our Heavenly Father offers us. We need to take advantage of all of the things God has given to let us know He is there. King Benjamin from the Book of Mormon teaches us this principle:

"...As ye have come to the knowledge of the glory of God, or if ye have known of his goodness and have tasted of his love, and have received a remission of your sins, which causeth such exceedingly great joy in your souls, even so I would that ye should remember, and always retain in remembrance, the greatness of God, and your own nothingness, and his goodness and long-suffering towards you, unworthy creatures, and humble yourselves even in the depths of humility, calling on the name of the Lord daily, and standing steadfastly in the faith of that which is to come..."

We all can know of His glory. When we do we need to press forward and always remember Him. He is the great creator. He is our Father. He has provided a way for us to be happy in this life and to return to live with Him in the life to come. What greater blessing is there than to know the only true and living God and Jesus Christ whom He has sent (John 17:3)? "If ye do this ye shall always rejoice, and be filled with the love of God, and always retain a remission of your sins; and ye shall grow in the knowledge of the glory of him that created you, or in the knowledge of that which is just and true." (Mosiah 4:12)

This Christmas season is a good time to remember God and our Savior Jesus Christ. My prayer is that we always treat life like it is the first time we have ever seen snow. I know that we will be much happier and we will grow in our knowledge of God. We will feel His love for us.

Remember what God means to you. Remember how much He gives us everyday of our lives. Take the time during Christmas to reflect upon all you have and all that you know to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment