Sunday, December 5, 2010

No Dessert Until You Finish Your Dinner

How many of you enjoyed eating vegetables when you were a kid? How many of your kids enjoy eating vegetables? I dont know why but I to this day remember distinctly not liking broccili. I just refused to eat it. I wasnt too fond of eating the others either. It just didnt taste good. Mothers everywhere have to deal with this problem. Why do you torture your kids by forcing them to eat their greens?


It is because you love them. You know that vegetables are good for them. They need to eat them to stay healthy and to grow and develop. It is so important. That is why you dont let them leave the table until they finish their food. No dessert until there is no more dinner.

How many of you enjoy keeping the commandments? How many of your kids enjoy keeping the commandments? I dont know why but when I was a kid I did everything in my power to break the rules. I just refused to live by them. I especially didnt like saying family prayer every night. I couldn't stand reading my scriptures. Don't even get me started on going to Church every Sunday! Why would our Heavenly Father torture us by giving us commandments?

It is because He loves us. He knows that when we keep His commandments we are blessed. It is essential for us to grow spiritually and to be happy. Obedience is the first law of heaven. Joseph Smith taught: "There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated."(D&C 130:20) It may seem like God is restricting us, but whenever we keep His commandments we become free. We all need to realize that we need these commandments. They are for our benefit. They are essential for us to grow.

We can live happy peaceful lives if we chose to obey and live according to His commandments. We must obey first then we recieve blessings. If we want dessert we better finish our dinner.

1 comment:

  1. What a great blog post! I cracked up laughing! You are the last person I would think of who would disobey the rules and complain about going to church! I just see you as this spirit filled missionary, who writes inspiring blog posts and comments and has an incredible gift for helping people! How did you turn out so good?? :) It is actually encouraging for me! Sometimes my kids don't have the enthusiasm for the gospel that I wish they did, and I was wondering if I started too late, or if I could be doing more to help them. But look at you now! :) You found peace and happiness, and now you are sharing this gospel with everyone you can! I know God must be so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete